Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Teaching and Compassion

speaking to a big, somewhat unfamiliar crowd at the beginning of the semester
+
thinking of the few members of that crowd who will not appear to know the basic procedures that have been published and discussed
+
one's own education in a pressurized environment
=
an edgy affect from the speaker (me)


Today was the first day of our Departmental Recital, a weekly meeting involving most of our music majors. In this first meeting, I explain a few policies and (this snuck up on me today) I was a little fussy and sarcastic doing so.

That might be okay, but there were many in my audience who did not deserve such an approach. Plus, some might have enjoyed it mostly because I was laying down the law about their neighbors' behavior.

Some music colleagues might be reading this and thinking I'm being over-scrupulous or I'm just too nice in being concerned about this. While I appreciate those thoughts about me if anyone is actually having them, I think they are also an indication of the fact that sarcasm, upbraiding speech, etc. are so ingrained in many of us by our culture that we rarely stop to question whether they might ought to be out of bounds.

When I stand before that group of students, I am, no doubt, standing before a few fellow human beings who have been told they are more trouble than they are worth. And I stand before some others who were led to believe that some abuse they experienced was their own fault. What they need is acceptance, connection, a recognition that there is goodness in them and that I'm glad they are here - not browbeating.

And so I turn to the summary of the gospel - love God and love others - and I think of those who have carried that banner through my life. I hear the words and remember the spirits of pastors who knew that was what it's all about. And I see colleagues marching around the campus with that flag lifted high.

These thoughts bring me to a new discipline, a new focus I might undertake as this year unfolds.

So often, the mean and defensive attitudes and the cutting quips that accompany them sneak up on me and I find that my living is not matching my beliefs. Maybe at the tolling of each hour, before circumstances have set the tone, I should pause and lift that great banner of caritas before I move into the next hour's span.

3 comments:

fingers72 said...

Always good to reflect on one's actions when we deal with the young. No matter how tempting it may be to show our smart-aleck side in order to be fun, not everyone gets the fun. And our students are vulnerable. Thank you for saying you want to show "caritas" to our young folk. They are lucky to have a teacher like yourself, who holds himself up to a high standard.

Anonymous said...

I have experienced this entire drama myself, Charles, and find your self-examination, remorse, and commitment to amending what can be for any of us a habit of sarcasm, very heartening! In the last few years, I had the realization that sarcasm is humor at someone else's expense. As you say, caritas would never include it! All my best wishes for wonderful semester!

Anonymous said...

JR in NJ