Thursday, March 12, 2015

Psalm 23

Last night, I was reading the prologue to the Gospel of John with some friends and it struck me that only one portion of one verse of the passage is in present tense. Verse 3a reads, "The light shines in the darkness . . ."

My mostly subconscious assumption seems to be that one can and should always be in the light. But this passage acknowledges that light shines in the darkness in the present tense.

Such a beam of light fell across my soul during an SEU chapel gathering yesterday. In the early morning, we were led to read and pray Psalm 23. I suddenly found myself reading and praying it in a way I never have before.  

1 The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
     I have to stop here for some time to acknowledge that so many do want.
  
2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
     Green pastures -
           Under monuments or no monuments, 
           we eventually lie down for eternal rest 
           in the earth's great green pastures.
                  Thanatopsis  
     Still waters -
          Prayer for clarity and peace
          for myself and others. 

He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
     What is this psalmist's idea of the soul? And what is its restoration?
          Whatever the idea, it seems that he, too, 
          was seeing himself as more than meets the eye
          all those years ago.
 
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
       Even in the face of death and evil,
            security in the spirit can remain.
                   
Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
       Essential to faith is relationship with enemies.
            In that regard,
            Christ enacted sacrificial love,
            removing emnity.
            The cup of his blood overflows.
            That is our model.

6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.
       A moment of receptivity and openness before the richness of God's self.

No comments: